Wednesday, May 11, 2011

time to visit an old friend

So, fun fact.  Literally half of my hit results are permutations of either "lisa foiles naked" or "lisa foiles terrible."  I'm sure that if I kept up my vitriol for obnoxious gaming figures to a semi-regular degree, I'd get more traffic, but hey, guess what, I don't want to be some smelly angry nerd feature like busy street or whatever.  

Still, circumstances have sort of forced me to talk about Lisa again.  She's borrowed into the second or third strata of being a girl on the internet, that being her twitter pic showing her in her bra next to her with a yoshi t-shirt (only a mathematician could calculate which picture gives her 15-year-old fans the bigger chubby).  Her Escapist feature is on hiatus due to I guess her moving to LA, which led to perhaps the most anti-introspective column imaginable.  Finally, she's also redesigned her terrible, terrible website (loadsavepoint dot florp), somehow making her existence even more pointless.

There's not too much to say about the pictures.  If Lisa wants to fan the fires of nerdery, that's fine.  Really, what bothers me is that her wall of designer video game shirts kind of made me realize that Lisa seems to equate a large part of her "legitness" as a gamer due to her constantly showing off video game related purchases. While it easy to say "well that's Lisa showing her rock-like intelligence," I've sort of noticed that this is becoming a more widespread phenomenon of people who lack actual gaming chops trying to compensate by showing off all their GAMEZ and swag.  Oh wait this actually isn't new at all, ha ha, you thought I was going to be some retro pissbaby!  Still, this is pretty awful when it comes to Lisa, since she's basically the poster child for what female gamers are seen as today: overcompensating nitwits who use a vague interest in geekdom as a launching point for easy fanbase love.   

I'm also kind of pissed about that dig-dug shirt she's wearing, because I refuse she played that game for any longer than five round, while I spent literally half of my miserable freshman year in high school trying to beat my roommate's insurmountable high score.  CAN YOU EVEN NAME THE RED GUYS IN THE GAME, LISA?  CAN YOUUUUUUUUUUUU

(also speaking of busystreet her flirting with the now single Spoony via twitter is pretty goddamned hilarious yet tragic)

Anyway, Lisa's last column for Kotaku is all about her moving to LA, which means (oh no) she has to rearrange her gaming setup.  After telling us that every gamer has a setup (yeah I have a pretty sick configuration of shit stuffed in a drawer until I want to play Persona or something), we get this pretty telling line:

Thank Thor I don't have to get rid of my games and systems; I'll eventually transport them down to SoCal to enjoy the smog with me – but not without trimming some fat. The games and memorabilia I've collected are a reflection of my personality, and the move gives me a chance to reevaluate what I should ditch and what should take center stage.
Jesus maybe I should have gone righteous retro.  Maybe she's joking, but who says stuff like this?  THIS STARFOX POSTER WILL MAKE FURRIES LIKE ME MORE AND IS MORE PROOF OF MY NON CASUAL GAMER STATUS, BUT THIS BAYONNETTA WALL-SCROLL WILL MAKE PEOPLE THINK I LIKE ANAL.  After this, in keeping with Lisa Foiles column traditions, the train of thought gets derailed as she talks about video games she wants to keep, along with jokes about playing Solitaire with real cards (that's almost crtl+alt+delete level humor, zomg), ending with a subtle twitter mention that, credit be given, was actually pretty slick, as opposed to tim roger's OH GOD PLEASE BRING MY SUBSCRIBER COUNT OVER 3000 grovelling.

I'd like to talk about Save Point, but honestly, look at this fucking thing.  Even by 2007 standards, this is just a mess.  Granted, the site has never gotten much traffic, so it's understandable that Lisa's mindset was "well just do some dumb cat videos and 200-word nerd pandering, maybe I'll get lucky and have an inexplicable flood of visitors."  She also removed her male friends' awful game reviews (thank god someone willing to do a negative review of Superman 64, what a team player), so I guess sorry guys she'll probably find some new hosts (I mean that in both the roommate sense and the parasitic sense) in LA, welcome to the irrelevant club, I'll save you some seats. :3

SEE YOU LATER SPACE HOEBAG

No comments: